Assignment 1: Cardiac Case Study (100 points total) Due date September 20
Instructions: Type the paper in APA format. Cite your sources and add a reference list at the end of your paper..
NOTE: You may not copy/paste from the textbook or internet sources. Short quotes may be used if cited correctly. This paper, as are all CCN assignments, is subject to the rules of academic integrity and WILL be submitted to Turnitin.com for similarity checking. See Policies in the course shell or Student Handbook.
Case Study (50 points possible)
Bill Canton is a 52 year old Chief Financial Officer of a large urban medical center. After ingesting an entire roll of TUMS? that he got from his secretary, his indigestion had not improved. He blamed it on the pizza he had wolfed down at his desk for lunch, but by three o?clock, it was getting worse, not better. His secretary insisted that he go to the emergency room or she was going to call 911.
Mr. Canton presented to the ER complaining of epigastric pain unrelieved by antacids. An EKG was done indicating ST segment elevation. The pain was not relieved by three sublingual nitroglycerin tablets. Three doses of morphine sulfate given intravenously relieved the pain and he was transferred to the cardiac intensive care unit to rule out a myocardial infarction.
Data Obtained From Nursing Assessment
? Skin cool and clammy.
? Inspiratory crackles heard in lung bases; oxygen supplemented at 2 liters/minute via a nasal cannula
? Vital signs: temperature, 98.6°F; pulse, 120; respirations, 24; Blood pressure 90/62
? Cardiac monitor showed sinus rhythm with occasional premature ventricular contractions (PVCs)
? Lab values: Elevated isoenzymes: troponins, creatine kinase-myocardial bound (CK-MB) and lactic acid dehydrogenase (LDH).
Mr. Canton asked the nurse ask his secretary to cancel his dental appointment for tomorrow. He stated he needed to have a wisdom tooth removed because it was hurting his entire jaw for the past couple of days. He stated was thirsty, but immediately vomited the water he drank.
Case Study Questions: Myocardial Infarction (50 points)
1. What is the significance of an elevated ST segment inversion on an EKG and the PVCs the nurse sees on the monitor? (5 points)
2. What is the pathophysiology causing Mr. Canton?s cool, clammy skin and inspiratory crackles? (5 points)
3. Is his dental pain significant? Why or why not? (5points)
4. Why would Mr. Canton vomit after drinking water? (5points)
5. Why are his isoenzymes elevated? What pathology caused this? (5points)
6. What pathophysiology occurs during a myocardial infarction? Include all four processes. (25 points)
Mr. Canton?s pain was relieved by the morphine, but 2 hours later he called the nurse complaining of severe shortness of breath, chest pain and asking her to ?get this elephant off my chest!? Monitor showed sinus tachycardia with frequent PVCs, blood pressure 70/40. His mental status deteriorated to confusion and within ten minutes he was unresponsive. His skin color was dusky and felt cold and clammy. Lung sounds had increased crackles all the way up on both sides. The doctor diagnosed cardiogenic shock. He was started on rapid IV fluids and blood pressure elevating medications and rushed to the cardiac catheterization lab for an emergency angioplasty.
Case Study Questions: Cardiogenic Shock (50 points)
1. Describe the pathological processes of shock including impairment of oxygen and glucose use. (30 points)
2. What are the pathological events that caused Mr. Canton?s symptoms? Discuss each symptom. (10 points)
3. How does a coronary angioplasty improve the chances of survival in cardiogenic shock? You will need to use outside sources for this question. End your answer with an APA formatted reference. (10 points)
PLEASE COMPLETE EACH ASSIGNMENT WITH REFERENCE SEPERATELY.
Assignment 2. Topic: DEMENTIA (due date September 30th)
Please include the following in your paper: body system with name of disease, etiology, risk factors, pathophysiological process, clinical manifestations and complications, and diagnostics. Please remember to use proper APA style for your paper.
- Write a 2-3 page paper (excluding title and reference pages). Include the following information (also outlined in the grading rubric) about the selected disease process:
Introduction of disease
Etiology and risk factors
Clinical Manifestations & Complications
Be sure to provide a reference list in APA format.
A minimum of two (2) scholarly, primary sources are required.
Given the nature of the research, current literature is preferred (within 5 years).
Textbook for both assignment: Huether, S., & McCance, K. (2017). Understanding pathophysiology (6th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
Please original work, no copy and paste. They will be submitted through Turnitin to check for plagiarism.
Running Head: Dementia 1
UNIVERSITY OF AFFILIATE: Dementia
It is a neurodegenerative condition that result from progressive brain cell death which
occur over time and mostly affect memory,...
This question was answered on: Jan 30, 2021
Buy this answer for only: $15
This attachment is locked
We have a ready expert answer for this paper which you can use for in-depth understanding, research editing or paraphrasing. You can buy it or order for a fresh, original and plagiarism-free solution (Deadline assured. Flexible pricing. TurnItIn Report provided)
Pay using PayPal (No PayPal account Required) or your credit card . All your purchases are securely protected by .
About this QuestionSTATUS
Jan 30, 2021EXPERT
GET INSTANT HELP/h4>
We have top-notch tutors who can do your essay/homework for you at a reasonable cost and then you can simply use that essay as a template to build your own arguments.
You can also use these solutions:
- As a reference for in-depth understanding of the subject.
- As a source of ideas / reasoning for your own research (if properly referenced)
- For editing and paraphrasing (check your institution's definition of plagiarism and recommended paraphrase).
NEW ASSIGNMENT HELP?
Order New Solution. Quick Turnaround
Click on the button below in order to Order for a New, Original and High-Quality Essay Solutions. New orders are original solutions and precise to your writing instruction requirements. Place a New Order using the button below.
WE GUARANTEE, THAT YOUR PAPER WILL BE WRITTEN FROM SCRATCH AND WITHIN A DEADLINE.